In 2021, LUN has formed a new Crime Safety Committee in response to our questionnaire last summer in which many Lowry Residents expressed concerns over crime. While the committee is still trying to best determine our overreaching goal and methods of communication, we have already encouraged participation with Denver Police District 3 in their Neighborhood Watch Program. By the end of the month, at least 7 official Neighborhood Watch blocks will have been set up in Lowry.
It is important to remember that most crime is Denver is a result of opportunity.
Here are some general guidelines to prevent crimes of opportunity.
- Keep your doors and windows locked.
- Never let anyone know you are home alone.
- Make sure your house numbers are visible for police or fire response.
- Keep your shrubs trimmed below your windows.
- Install a motion sensor to light up your driveway and doorways.
- Always lock your car and roll up your windows.
- Remove valuables from your car, even when you are parked in front of your home.
- Park in a well lit, highly visible area.
Register Your Bike
- Register your bike online to assist with recovery of your bike should it get lost or stolen and this can also assist in the successful identification of injured cyclists. You can register at denvergov.org/bikeregistration.asp
Stolen cars are one of the crimes that have increased most in the last year. If you have one of the cars listed below, it would be good to put it in a garage, a well-lit area, or secure it with a “Club”. The District 3 Police Station at University and I-25 often has “Clubs” available. Our committee is also looking for local merchants that may provide a discount for Lowry Residents.
Below is a list of the Top Ten Vehicles Stolen in the Denver Metro Area in 2020. Notice that most of these are older models that are easier to break into and/or hot wire.
Make/Model # Stolen Year of Car
1 Chevrolet Silverado 1145 1999-2007
2 Honda Civic 956 1995-2000
3 Honda Accord 924 1992-1997
4 Ford F-250 923 1999-2006
5 GMC Sierra 602 1999-2007
6 Ford F-150 561 1995, 1997- 98,
7 Ford F-350 525 1999-2006
8 Ram 1500 493 1998-2005, 2019
9 Hyundai Sonata 460 2011-2017
10 Honda CR-V 413 1997-2001
For all emergencies call 911 and for non-emergency call 720-913-2000.